Logo Tshirt Blue Originals Blue Originals Tshirt Adidas Originals Tshirt Logo Adidas Adidas Adidas Blue Logo xYBwq7OC
Students currently studying at one of the University of Oslo’s international partner institutions may apply to become bilateral exchange students (bachelor or master level) for one or two semesters.
How to apply
To find out if you may apply to become a bilateral student at the University of Oslo (UiO), you must contact the international office at your home institution. You have to apply through your home university. Local procedures and deadlines will vary according to each institution.
Specifications about English language requirements at the University of Oslo are available on our web page about English proficiency requirements.
- UiO's partner institutions must Adidas Adidas Logo Blue Logo Tshirt Originals Logo Blue Originals Tshirt Adidas Adidas Originals Blue Tshirt nominate studentsin the University of Oslo online nomination system.
- Nominated students will then be invited to complete their application for exchange in the online application service for students (Søknadsweb).
Applications should be completed online well before:
- 1 May for the autumn semester (August - December)
- 1 November for the spring semester (January - June)
Letters of Admission will be available online in May for the autumn semester and in November for the spring semester.
Courses in English
Bilateral students at the University of Oslo may choose from more than 800 courses offered in English.Neron Neron Derhy Multicoloured Multicoloured Derhy Ecru Ecru axgqZqR
The course descriptions give detailed information about each course, course content, when it's taught, the syllabus, examination form, etc. The list is updated for the coming semester in late November/mid-May.
Questions regarding courses must be directed to the relevant department or faculty. For questions concerning courses offered in other foreign languages than English, please contact the local international coordinator at your home university.
Norwegian language courses
Bilateral students at the University of Oslo may apply for Norwegian Language Courses on foundation and advanced level:
• Norwegian Language Courses at the Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies. The credit value of these courses may be incorporated into a degree, if the courses are recognized by your home institution.
• Intensive Norwegian Language Courses in the summer offered through the International Summer School (ISS) at the University of Oslo. For further information, see The International Summer School (ISS)
• Free online, four-week, introductory foreign language course: Free online course: Introduction to Norwegian
- Applying for a student residence permit in Norway may take up to two months, so please start this process early.
- If you are not an EU/EEA citizen you should apply for a student residence permit immediately after you have received your admission letter. Remember that you may also have to apply for a visa to enter Norway.
If you for some reason are unable to start the process more than two months prior to your arrival, please note that bilateral exchange students to the University of Oslo may apply for a student residence permit within 7 days after arrival in Norway. However, you may still need to apply for a visa before you arrive, depending on your citizenship. For further information about visa and student residence permit procedures, please see residence permit
Student housing, arrival and orientation
Student housing must be booked before 1 June for the Autumn semester and 1 November for the Spring semester. Exchange students who follow the directions are guaranteed housing in one of the student residences.
Most questions regarding practical issues are answered on our web pages for new international students.